Wednesday, June 20, 2007

NOT JUST A GAME PERHAPS !


Cricket is not just a game! I know, quite a cliché. There have been a lot of incidents recently which made me say that. The furor created over the suicide of a young aspiring cricketer, Subhash Dixit, has made many critics and people associated with the game think beyond the money and fame involved in the game. Selectors making huge profits over the selection process are not a secret anymore! Selection of an Indian coach turned out nothing but BCCI hoopla without any results as yet.
There is something with this game, especially in India. I don’t wish to comment on the viability of the claim that ‘we love cricket because cricket is in our blood’, I would just wish to bring to you a small incident that happened today.

PJ: ‘Hey lets go to civil lines guys. We’ll chase around some *%&$# …’

Vinay: ‘Ya lets go. We’ll ask Anuj and Sam as well’

Sam: ‘I’m fine with it. Let’s get our engines kicking!’

Anuj: ‘Sure, let’s go. Haven’t had any funs in a while’

So, all four of us set out on our bikes to have some fun. Meanwhile, Anuj gets a call.

Anuj (on the phone): ‘Ok. I’ll be there in a moment.’

PJ: ‘Hey what happened?’

Anuj: ‘Yaar I’m sorry. Can’t come with you guys. Have a cricket match.’

Vinay: ‘But your match was tomorrow na?’

Anuj: ‘Ya my match is tomorrow guys. I’m umpiring on today’s match!’

We tried to convince him but he was adamant. In the end he evaded our questions and queries and we remained silent. How anyone can miss loads of fun in the company of friends just because he has to umpire in a cricket match! I’m still clueless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT IS SO COOL..PJ...U NO ALL THESE BUDHHA CRICKETING FREEKS OF OUR JHUNSI...THEY SHOULD B CASTRATED...GUD WORK BUDDY...

Anonymous said...

THAT IS SO COOL..PJ...U NO ALL THESE BUDHHA CRICKETING FREEKS OF OUR JHUNSI...THEY SHOULD B CASTRATED...GUD WORK BUDDY...